Thursday, April 18, 2013

Mis-Information from too much Information


The nice thing about blogging is that you can write it anytime, anywhere, then upload it later. Thanks to Notepad, this is exactly what I'm doing. Mother Nature has struck down my internet connection, which means I won't stay up too late!

I shared the link to my blog on Facebook, so I'm hoping to get some questions to add to my list of things to blog about.

The recent tragedy in Boston re-inforced the dark side of the internet and so many having smart phones. Mis-information went on a rampage and continues days later. Real research is no longer done before a story is posted. In the rush for the scoop or exclusive, a catchy headline is posted and little details are given, almost always wrong the first time and several corrections later. This fuels gossip, speculation, and the imagination to the point where it makes it more difficult to determine the real truth.

What irks me the most is the lack of discipline against news agencies for mis-informing the public. Or at least, we never really see much. Once in a while, we get an "oops, we were wrong" article, but are there any fines? Were the ones responsible reprimanded or fired? We'll probably never know.

I can see how daunting it may be these days because everyone is "connected" and siphoning fact from fiction. But still, I would rather NOT read the scoop and the false headline and wait until the real story is ready to be written and shared. We are always in such a rush! Some news isn't news at all. I could care less about Tom Cruise's movie casting troubles or who won Dancing with the Starts. That kind of news can be found by those that are interested, but put the good and the bad in the headlines of what's going here in the US and in the rest of the world. Most of the news is bad and tragic, but there are countless stories of triumph and courage that are just as riveting as bad news. We never see enough of that.

On top of all of that is the politics between different news sites. I find myself going to BBC News rather than Fox, Yahoo!, or MSN because they see the news from the outside and tend to not be influenced by our own politics. It's hard to truly find non-biased news and stories and I guess it depends on an individual's definition of bias. Is it actually possible not to be? We are human, so how can one not be influenced by his/her own culture, faith, political views, and philosophy?

Meh, despite no internet, I still stayed up too late! And I'll probably stay up later reading a good old fashioned e-book! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment